Friday 15 March 2019

Brenton Tarrant, the Jihadi.

Right, I've had a massively busy day today, having started it earlier than usual, totally sleep-deprived and groggy.

While I was not looking, my Twitter-feed has gone completely off the scale, and my Facebook feed is filled with anguish, pain, remorse, and scarily in some instances, jubilance.

And yes, I've been Whatsapped the video of the camera on that Aussie dickhead's head. I cried when watching it. Needless to say, I've deleted it from my phone, and messaged the person who sent it to me not to propagate it any further. Nothing about sharing footage of this macabre event is cool.

I've been itching to say something about the tragedy that has gone down in Hobbiton. New Zealand is the last place on earth I believed, that would harbour such sentiment.

Racists exist everywhere. Many people think and strongly believe, that they are the true inheritors and enforcers of what is God's will. A God they have never seen and never met.

All Muslims are not blow-yourself-up Jihadies. All Christians are not shoot-em-up-crusaders. All BJP voters are not Hindutva-fanatics. All Sikhs are not Khalistani mindjobs.

My best friend, my chaddi-buddy (langotiya yaar) is a Muslim. His wife is a Hindu. Their kids are a joy to behold. My friends come from all walks of life, of varying beliefs, and the reason they are my friends is essentially the content of their character, not the colour of their skin or the deity they worship. I've never given two hoots about any deity or imaginary clock-maker, but if it gives people a focus to set their moral compass on, so be it. Be nice, get nice. Simples.

Having said that, from this day forth, many Muslims in the West, and in Australia & New Zealand will not go to their mosque for fear of idiots like Brenton Tarrant. Come to think of it, how safe are Hindus in their temples, or Sikhs in their Gurudwaras, or Jews in their Synagogues, in the face of such hatred?

Of course there have been many expressed opinions that people like Brenton Tarrant cannot exist in a vacuum. There has to be a political atmosphere or social cushion that allows hate like this to ferment. This may be one of the truths, but I don't think this is THE truth. I won't be blaming Modi, or Trump, or Candace Owens for this. I'll be blaming Brenton Tarrant.

This is what Brenton Tarrant did: He killed people that did not agree with his mindset. He killed women and children, and a lot of men. He killed people that were not combatants in an arena of war. He is the very thing he thinks he is opposing.

Brenton Tarrant is a Jihadist. Brenton Tarrant is a terrorist. Brenton Tarrant needs to be put away, forever.

No comments: