Tuesday 29 October 2019

Vote Brexit Vote Diversity

I have been to mainland Europe only twice in my entire life. I speak seven languages, four of them to a level where I can (and often do) write poetry in them. I can Bhangra, Garba, Qarsak, Disco, Line Dance, Waltz, and hell, even break-dance, (badly). I enjoy Kirtan, Bhajans, Sufi poetry, Pslams & Hymns, Daler Mehndi, Gurdas Mann, Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, Guns 'n' Roses, Metallica, Joni Mitchell, Red hot Chilli Peppers, Googoosh, Ahmad Zahir, Farhad Darya, and a whole lot of others that appeal to my soul.
I've read the Guru Granth Sahib, the Bhagwad Gita, some of the Vedas and Upanishads, The Bible, the Koran, The God Delusion, and a Brief History of Time, and often quote from them. My favourite authors are Tagore, Sada'at Hassan Manto, Munshi Premchand, Shakespeare, Robert Burns, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Nasim Nicholas Taleb, Ibn Battuta, Bullèh Shah, Mark TwainWH Auden, PB Shelly, Victor Hugo, Voltaire, Charles Dickens, and a myriad of bloggers that aren't afraid to say what they need to say.
I don't take offence if my beliefs (or lack of them), my appearance or my customs are ridiculed or made fun of. Some of them ARE funny as shit and the stereotypes they invoke are funnier still. My Gods may seem weird to you, but then yours do to me as well, which is fine. Mine have lasted many centuries and many millennia, as have yours, and they'll easily withstand and weather a little bit of ribbing and fingering from the odd comedian or a stupid bigot.
Where I draw the line is when you think I and my kind need to be obliterated or converted. My beliefs and I are not better than you and your beliefs, and neither are yours better than mine. The moment you think they are is when you become a lesser individual, and therefore the enemy. That is the point at which I will resist you and fight you. The Gods I believe in or political stance I take don't need their honour or validity defended by mere mortals. That yours might suggest otherwise shows how pathetically weak they are. Which is why I will win, every single time.
My morality, my moral stance, and how I choose to live my life and raise my children should be no concern of yours, until or unless I seek to coerce you into believing what I believe and doing what I do. Don't agree with me, and by all means make fun of it, but don't expect me to agree with or fall in line with you. Any divine right you think you have, if there is such a thing, is equally mine as it is yours. To expect me and force me to live by your rules is nothing but tyranny, and I for one, will not stand for it.
This is why I voted Brexit. I would still vote Brexit if it came to it - again. This why I am a conservative. This is why this isn't a fight against diversity, it is a fight FOR diversity. We are all different. That is what makes us, every one of us special. I celebrate differences, I am of the opinion that we MUST be allowed to evolve on our own terms instead of being forcibly homogenised into a bland blob of conformity. 'Vive la difference', as the French would say.
My life's motto? "An' it harm none, do what ye will." Other than that, you can fuck right off."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent, well written and thought provoking blog.