Friday 24 February 2012

Dear Jobseeker



I run a little business. I have no vacancies, but I could make some room for you to come in and learn how my business works. I can't afford to pay you, but you're welcome to sit around, shadow my staff, ask questions, and hopefully gain some valuable skills.


In return, I'd like you to respect my business, my staff, my customers and not be a drain on my resources - limited as they are in these tough times.


If you're able to demonstrate an ability to add value to my business in terms of reducing my costs or improving my revenue, there could be scope for hiring you into a paid position, after all, who doesn't want to grow? In any case you'll learn more than your school, college or university ever taught you.


Make it work for me, and I will make it work for you. If you have it in you to do what it takes, as long as it takes and as long as you understand that I don't owe you and you don't owe me, and that only you owe yourself, I'm desperate for the likes of you.


Use your initiative, learn about me, tell me what you can bring to the table. Let's talk.


Banti

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good posts.

I taught at a college for a while. The students were a mixed bunch of teenagers, but as I had for a time also been in business and interviewed people I knew what working environments looked for, and frankly very few of the students there would have even remotely interested me as an employer at any price.

However, some of them had potential and would eventually make their way in the world, though most were at the college not for the chance to progress but because it was easy and undemanding. A good number of them harboured ambitions of earning 20,000 a year. Some of them believed that the first interview they went for would soon pay them that. Minimum wage was 'for losers' and not for them.

I shudder to think in the current climate how many of the 180 or so I saw in my time would even make minimum wage.

squirrel said...

Absolutely agree, except my students saw their starting wage at approximately 30k. I worked as an hourly-paid tutor at £15 an hour but several of the students told me I was on 35,000 a year. They knew this as a fact because someone outside education had told them,.

When I explained that there were a lot of £15 in £35,000 and I wasn't working in excess of 2300 hours a year (that is, September to June, less holidays) they were puzzled.

Then they asked how anyone would want to teach people like them for just £15 an hour? At that point I had to agree there was no logical answer.

I also asked them how many of their lot did they reckon I would employ if I ran my own business? The average guess was twenty or so. They looked disappointed when I told them I might find one or two among the 150 or so I taught who I would consider offering a trial.

Sobering thoughts for them, apart from the lad who told me I talked too much which he didn't like as I interrupted him talking.