Saturday 13 August 2022

God's Army

If your sentiments can be hurt by something someone says, writes, or agrees with - then you are a complete wuss. A coward.

The one speaking, writing, or engaging in conflicting conversation isn't the one holding a machine gun or wielding a knife, mowing down and chopping up people. 

YOU are.

You're prepared to kill for something you can simply and easily walk away from, not listen to, not read about, and not engage with. It's called being the bigger man, something you'll never be.

A benevolent God, if there is one, couldn't possibly want YOU to kill, unless in self-defence. You don't just kill people. You're not the T-1000, whose AI algorithms had better sense than you.

Either you've understood your God wrong, or you've got the wrong God.

Think on it.

ADDENDUM
This is about Salman Rusdhie.

He has had a death-threat on his head since he wrote 'The Satanic Verses' in 1988 proclaimed by the then Ayatollah of Iran. He has been in hiding and protection ever since.

He was attacked in NYC this week, by a 24-year-old fanatic, attempting to carry out a Fatwa from 1988. I won't name him - I want no part in making him famous. The pathetic sprog wasn't even born when the book was written.

Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie CH FRSL stands to lose one eye, his arm, and his liver has been punctured several times due to multiple stab wounds. He is currently on a ventilator and there's a chance the dude won't make it.

An all-powerfull God has sanctioned this, apparently.

He is 75, and one of the world's finest and most influential British-Indian writers. His prose is so beautifully written, I envy his skills.

And I have to confess, I have only ever read Midnight's Chldren. I never dared to get hold of 'The Satanic Verses' for fear of being blocked everywhere. In India, it was banned. I saw a hard-copy in a charity shop, but I thought, "I might be ending up saying  something. Something that could end me." So I didn't. 

That was when I decided my posts will always be ambiguous. I don't have the time nor the inclination to explain.

He happens to be a Muslim. Not devout, but an obvious Muslim nonetheless . He sees the faith in a way most don't.

His seminal work, 'Midnight's Children' - a book about what happened at midnight on the 15th of August,1947, when India gained independence from Britain is his best work.

He won a Knighthood despite being hugely critical of the Empire.

So yeah, it's a thing for me.

No comments: